[Debconf-team] Some thoughts: DebianDay

DebianDay was introduced in 2005.  Ever since then, we've been
struggling to make it happen.  This year, due to several factors, it
ended up being a lot of effort and having about 100 participants.

So, the proposals for next year's DebianDay:

1) Do *NOT* do it at the end of DebConf.  This was a BIG mistake on
our side, we were too tired to do things properly, and it took away
one resting day for us.

2) Do *NOT* do it at a different venue.  DebianDay was not recorded
because it was too much effort to setup everything again there.

3) Before deciding anything, think if it's really worth it.  We don' t
seem to be able to attract the "Decision Makers" that we state that
come to DebianDay.  Only Debian users, and not many of them.

3) If you are going to do it, someone has to be in charge of
organizing it, getting the speakers to talk, and giving it a lot of
press.  (We actually did get a lot of press for it, many newspapers
did have something about it on their pages, however, we got very few
attendees, so it was obviously not enough).

I think that it might be better to group together the DebConf talks
that do not require to be an active contributor, and declare that day
the "Open to community" day.  Some possible examples from this year:

* the Debian Videoteam -- Behind the Scenes
* Internationalization in Debian (actually, any of the keynotes)
* Predictable PRNG in the Vulnerable Debian OpenSSL Package
* LessWatts
* Virtualisation in Debian - Present and future
* Method diffusion in large volunteer projects
* Lightning Talks
* Sustainable Computing
* Peace, Love and Rockets

--