Re: [Debconf-team] [Debian-NYC] DebConf10 - call for Location proposals

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 04:59:05PM +0200, W. Martin Borgert wrote:
> 1. Ask some well-respected organisations (universities, some UN
>    body, whatever we can arrange) to write invitation letters
>    for DebConf participants. I know, that those are sometimes
>    completely ignored, but it's worth a try anyway.
>
> 2. Talk to big companies (Google, HP, Intel) and other
>    organisations, what hints they have for us to get people into
>    the US with minimal trouble.

I'd expect one of these will yield some useful results, especially given
how many contacts we have inside all three of those companies and
several "well-respected organizations". At a minimum the big companies
might be able to get us advice or assistance from a lawyer who
specializes in that area, or else might be able to write letters on our
behalf.

> 3. Make sure, that expenses for people who try to apply and get
>    rejected are covered. Nobody must fear to just lose 100 USD.

I definitely intend to do this if at all possible, which I expect it
will be.

> 4. Support the work of our video team, so that people, who are
>    unable or unwilling to enter the US, are not completely left
>    out.

Definitely. Yay video team! :-)

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debian.org