Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf10 - call for Location proposals

Otavio Salvador wrote:
> Jimmy Kaplowitz <jimmy@debian.org> writes:
>
> > On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 08:06:42PM -0300, Margarita Manterola wrote:
> >> I also very much oppose to having DebConf in the US.  I refuse to pay
> >> USD 100 so that PERHAPS they decide to give me a visa (I have no
> >> property, no children, and I'm in the "easy to get a job" age, so the
> >> chances that they'll refuse it are pretty high, even though I have no
> >> desire of living there).
> >
> > I realize the visa fees are high, and we will look at the possibility of
> > sponsoring visa fees for attendees (even if they get denied visas). I
> > expect it will be possible.
>
> I just don't expect many foreign people being approved for the
> visa. This worries me a lot.

Jimmy provided numbers from the US State Department about actual refusal
rates.  Many countries have issues with visas - I recall an incident
where Overfiend was invited to speak at a conference in Brasil but was
unable to do so since his visa was approved after the conference was
over.

--
Michael Schultheiss