Re: [Debconf-team] Coordinating prepaid SIM cards for .ar

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 1:49 PM, martin f krafft <madduck@debconf.org> wrote:

> I will try to get cards for $20 or thereabouts for everyone listed
> at http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf8/PrepaySIMsWanted
>
> by Saturday night when Debcamp starts, and I will make those people
> on that list pay for them, so if you are getting your own, or you
> don't want one, remove your name by Thursday of next week.

The SIMs are very cheap, they are sold without any charge.  You can
buy SIMs for everyone, and then only about 10 prepaid cards of $20.
Prepaid cards can be bought in any place, they are very easy to find,
I don't think it's necessary for you to buy so many in advance.

There are three mobile companies in Argentina, "Movistar" (from
Telefónica), "Personal" (from Telecom) and "Claro" (from TelMex, I
think).  The one with better covering in MDQ is "Claro".

Also, it's quite probable that the cheap SIMs will charge you extra
for roaming.  So, the best advice would be to buy the SIMs with MDQ
numbers, not with Buenos Aires numbers (this probably means buying
them at MDQ).

--
Besos,
Marga