Re: [Debconf-team] sponsorship levels

On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 05:34:27PM +0000, Jonathan McDowell wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 03:55:26PM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
> > I honestly think it's a big mistake not to go with sponsorship levels,
> > as was "decided" (*) in the sponsorship team meeting:
> >
> > 1. I believe, that we get more money from sponsors, if they have an
> > incentive to spend more money to reach higher levels. Currently it
> > doesnt really matter how much money they give. Organizers of other
> > free-software conferences  supported me in this view.
>
> The addition of such sponsorship levels could well scare off smaller
> sponsors; people who are prepared to give what they can in support, but
> would rather not contribute than be listed in the "second class
> sponsorship" region.

I think that's total bullshit. I don't see why someone who wants to
sponsor 2000 euros would feel "scared off" seen that someone who offers
10 times as much gets a bit more recognition for that.

Obviously, wording needs to be chosen carefully (e.g., I wouldn't call
anyone "minor" or "small" sponsors, no matter how little money they
offer--much in the same way that there are no "small" sized condoms),
but that doesn't mean that people can't understand that there might be
other sponsors that can spare more money than they do.

That being said, I would make sure not to overdo the levels. I would go
with two levels, perhaps three as a maximum; five is way too much, IMO.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22