[Debconf-team] information about the suedtirol guys

hi!

i talked with gunnar yesterday and he told me that he wondered
who those 7(?) guys are who registerd in comas recently and why a
bunch of pupils would want to organize debconf7. I bet most of
you have similar questions.

I did mention süd tirol a couple of times but never told (a lot)
more of the story. that is partly because they have not yet
decided if they want to "run" for hosting debconf7 yet, and still
would like to learn more to make an informed decision.

this is what i know about the situation in süd-triol (and please
correct me if i get something wrong, whoever knows better):

Süd Tirol is a region of italy which tries to maintain cultural
and administrative independence from italy. it is located in the
alps and has good skiing areas.

the administration and political scene (?) is fond of free
software and pushes it a lot for some time already. recently they
wondered how to give back or further free software and ended up
with debconf as a way of keeping the debian project in shape and
happy.

One school in Brixen, which runs on linux, is the focal point of
those effords and would would want some of it's more dedicated
and better-english-speaking pupils to participate in debconf6
preparation and organisation. They are supposed to do the work
(while there are other local people who would  help and "be
locally responsible") for debconf7.

That is the short version of why a bunch of pupils signed up in
comas and pop up on irc. Please help them to get involved and
dont underestimate them.

/andreas