Re: debconf6 video and infrastructure wishlist and notes

Holger Levsen dijo [Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 03:08:33PM +0200]:
> Hi,

Hi,

> The next step (after discussing this here) will be to put the information
> gathered here into taskjuggler (our demands, to keep track of the request,
> etc) and onto the website (network information for the participants, video
> team workflow, video team manuals and call for video-volunteers).

Yup. This last point makes me think of another important thing: To add
a page for what's needed for local volunteers to do. Doing it right
now...

> Network:
> - what kind of uplink will we have ? we do control it 100%, do we ?
> - what ip-range will we use (NAT real ips) ? will we have incoming
> connections ? what restrictions do we want ?
> - what kind of wireless do we want ? No encryption, WEP, WPA, xsupplicant ? :)

As for the connection, we still are not certain (Claudia Landa is
working on getting sponsorship) - I am almost certain we will have one
or more DSL-type connections with Telmex. I am requesting at least
6Mbps, symmetrical. If we don't get the sponsorship, we will start
looking at the alternatives, but Telmex is by far the most important
ISP in Mexico. We will control 100% our connection, they don't block
any ports. I don't think we will get one real IP for each of us - We
can make it with NAT, maybe we can get some fixed IP addresses, but I
wouldn't bet the house on it. If we need them, speak up now.

Regarding wireless: No encryption is needed. We will set up our own
infrastructure. Oaxtepec does not care much about it. I think we
should leave the net open, or at most with WEP.

> The video teams wants/needs
> - dedicated video-editing room

Ok, we talked on reserving a hotel room for the video team

> - LDAP-server with account data for comas, website and all machines at
> debconf6; besides the obvious users (everyone) we also want a videoteam-group
> to grant special permissions like write on the videoraid etc.
> - two gigabit-switches: one in the server room and another in the
> video-editing room
> - a 2TB-raid with nfs-mounts on all video machines (see below), writeable for
> videogroup members
> - two video-laptops with big internal disks (80gb), firewire and external
> usb-hd-cases
> - two presentation laptops with acroread, evince, xpdf, opera, istanbul
> (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=316503) and whatnot?!
> - the two build-machines from debconf5 could be used as number-crunchers for
> the video team - at dc5 these machines where almost not used at all. IMHO be
> should try to get and setup such machines again (they might be used more if
> announce properly and in advance) and make a plan how to use them for video
> (encoding..!) in any case.
> - three video editing desktops with dual-cpus and dual-tfts, two would be ok,
> but three is much nicer...
> - micophones, mixers ?

Ok. From all this hardware, what do we already have or can easily get?
What do we have to find a sponsor for (or buy in the worst case)?

> It would also be very nice to integrate the papers (incl. their sources) into
> this workflow... I would suggest to add another "job" in our volunteerplan
> (the spreadsheet Henning maintained at debconf5..). This time we should
> collect these files during the conference and upload instantly and together
> with the video.

We can handle this through Comas, as long as the authors cooperate -
Just ask them to upload their material to their proposal, and we are
set.

> btw, the licence situation (of the talks and videos) will be taken care of in
> COMAS (our conference management system) directly, something like "people
> who'll commit talks will have to choose a (proper) licence at commit time".

Yes, I'm working on it right now :) Well, I'm working on some details
re: the person - but I will have this soon.

Greetings,

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@gwolf.org - (+52-55)1451-2244 / 5623-0154
PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23