Hardware news, delivery address needed, Power5 training

Hi,

An update on sponsored hardware from HP and IBM. Both good and bad news.

HP printers:

I discussed with Hannu Stenman today. The printers are at Tampere (another
city) and if we want to get them delivered by Friday I need to give him the
exact address tomorrow (Wednesday) morning and be sure that there are some
people present to accept the delivery when they arrive.

Still no model numbers, but it'll be two color lasers. I earlier sent a list
of suitable models (all of which were duplex and with a network connection)
so expect to get something decent.

HP servers:

The good news is that they were able to arrange two servers quickly despite
the date misunderstanding. I actually got them today and they are located
about 1 km from the dorm. I hope they can be moved there by Friday about 5
pm, as it'll be difficult to access the place during the weekend. (Monday
morning is again fine.)

The bad news is that the hardware is quite far from what we discussed
earlier, especially concerning amount of memory and disk space. This is what
we got:

one DL585, 2 CPU Opteron 2.2GHz dual-core, 2 GB RAM, 3x36.4 GB disk, 2 x
Gbit Ethernet, floppy + cd-rom. Serial number 8007MLK84R, value about 5500
euros.

one DL145, 1/2 CPU Opteron 2.6GHz dual-core, 2 GB RAM, 1x36.4 GB disk, 2 x
Gbit Ethernet, no floppy or cdrom installed. Serial number GB8522B608, value
about 2500 euros.

I'm actually not sure if the DL145 has one or two CPUs installed, it wasn't
clearly displayed on the boot screen and I didn't have time for a closer
inspection.

I called Marko Rinne again and he promised to check from the wholesale if
they have more memory (PC3200 registered) available or arriving soon, they
had only older slower memory at HP. We might get more next week. This Marko
Rinne seems to be a rather efficient guy, it's too bad that I got his
contact info so late in the process.

IBM Power5:

The most suitable time for a training session for IBM would be Tuesday July
5th starting at 10 am. Arsi Kortesniemi could personally bring the hardware,
and give a presentation + hands-on tutorial. Is this time okay for you?

He asked us to organize a room with a video projector so that he can do a
slideshow. Would this be at HUT or at the dorm? I can also reserve a meeting
room at my workplace CSC (less than 1 km from HUT) if that's more convenient
and/or bring a video projector. Arsi would be happy if some people from CSC
who are working on our IBMs (we have a 512 CPU p690 installation) would
participate so I'll still send email to our internal lists. At least I'll
organize so that I can be present.

The machine is not insured by IBM and the value is "about 20-30 keuros".
Arsi said that their demo machines are not usually insured. I guess the risk
of theft is relatively small but we might want to take this account in the
insurance if it's still possible.

Arsi naturally also needs the exact address for the delivery of the server
and the meeting room location. I promised to get back to him on this.

IBM laptops:

Three laptops confirmed, will get them on Tuesday July 5th. No further info
since my previous mail.

Conference bags:

No progress. The supermarket / department store option might be worth
pursuing.

AJT

--
Arto Teräs <ajt@iki.fi> --- See http://ajt.iki.fi for contact info