Re: Network status

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 01:04:57PM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> > > What did they answer to this question ? "Yes" ? :) What kind of IPs will
> > > we get ? Private ones (like 192.168.x.y or 10.x.y.z) or real internet
> > > routable ones ? How many of the latter ?
> > Real ones in the dorm. One per room. Dynamic ones.
> > I am requesting some fixed ones in the basement and in smokki.
>
> parse error :( (esp. about the dorms:) there will be dynamically assigned
> private IPs (192.168.0.0/16 or 10.0.0.0/8) or will there be one real
> IP-address per room ? If we get private IPs in the dorm (which I believe...)
> then we'll get as many IPs per room as there are MAC addresses ?
>
> And you are requesting some internet routable IPs for the basement and
> smökki ? (I dont care (atm) if they're handed out via dhcp or if they're
> fixed). How many did you request ?

We are getting one socket on the wall per room. We get real dynamic ip
addresses on the rooms. Probably one per room, but it is not clear. The IPs
are all real. REAL. ;) We might need to set, on our own and in case-by-case
needs, some NAT, to be able to share one socket with more than one room-mate.

I have requested some fixed routable IPs for the dorm to set some servers, but
if we get them from the CSD, we have access to those services from everywhere,
as opposed to having the services in the Dorm, which is a heavily firewalled
area.

--
Jesus Climent                                      info:www.pumuki.org
Unix SysAdm|Linux User #66350|Debian Developer|2.6.10|Helsinki Finland

Grool... I meant to say "cool" and then I started to say "great."
		--Cady (Mean Girls)