Re: Decision making in Debian

On Thu, Jul 14, 2022 at 09:15:37AM +0000, Stefano Rivera wrote:
> Hi Dashamir (2022.07.14_08:31:51_+0000)
> > But I have seen recently a very long discussion thread in a mailing list,
> > with pros and cons about introducing Discourse as an alternative or
> > replacement to mailing lists, and the result of the discussion was not
> > clear at all (at least I could not understand it). I am also not sure what
> > happened with the Discourse initiative, was it finally tried or not.
>
> That was less of a discussion, and more of someone who is new to our
> community making a noise about how we are doing things wrong and should
> be doing them differently. I think most people roll their eyes and mark
> the thread as read. Many suggestions like this have been discussed
> before, many times, without any concrete actions coming out of them.

As the person who was driving the Discourse initiative, I do take slight
objection to being described as someone who was new to the community, or
characterised as "making a noise".

In fact, the reason that things did not progress was due to the massive
amount of stop energy at trying to improve our processes. I simply gave
up in engaging with Debian rather than trying to push for what I (still)
believe will improve engagement with new maintainers.

Neil