Re: We want your cheese

On 7/8/22 22:15, Dashamir Hoxha wrote:

    These footers break DKIM signatures. Therefore, the list can either
    modify the From to impersonate someone or ensure that the body is left
    unmodified. AFAIK, no Debian list is using a footer anymore, except the
    ones on "alioth".

I think that other mailing lists (or software that do the same or similar job) don't have such a problem (with DKIM signatures), because I see that they have a footer (including unsubscribe). So, maybe you should consider moving to some other mailing list software that is more up to date.

All mailing list managers have this issue. If they put footers, you can notice they are likely to mangle the From header for people with DKIM signatures on their domain. The alternative is to remove signatures or just ignore them and this is a recipe to categorized as spam.

If you ask me, I would suggest migrating the mailing lists to Discourse (https://www.discourse.org/ <https://www.discourse.org/>), which is a modern version of mailing lists. I have some experience with installing and maintaining Discourse, and I know how to make the migration from mailing lists to Discourse (I have done it for FLOSSK a few years ago). If anyone from the Debian infrastructure team would be interested to discuss more details about this, I will be available during the DebCamp and DebConf.

We had this discussion two years ago: https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2020/04/msg00074.html. I think it went nowhere for the usual reasons (no opinion, just FI, so that you know people you should get in touch with).