[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: DebConf20 registration is now open (with caveats)

I think this is a very good point.  I fully expect that if I were to
travel to Israel from Ireland I may face a 14-day quarantine on arrival,
and then face another 14-day quarantine on return.

There are only so many 14-day quarantines I can deal with in one year,
so I won't go to Israel, as tempting as the flight prices apparently are
right now - and as flexible as my working arrangements have curiously
turned out to be for the remainder of the year.


On Fri, 2020-05-22 at 10:35 -0400, Jon "maddog" Hall wrote:
> Hello,
> One thing I have not seen discussed is the issue of quarantine after
> the travel arrives, both coming and going.
> In one country I have seen they test you on arrival, have you answer
> questions, test you for the virus, then take you to a hotel room with
> an ankle bracelet.  After twenty-four hours in the room you are told
> by phone if you tested positive for the virus or not.   If you did not
> test positive you are allowed to go somewhere else for a 14-day
> quarantine.   The country paid for the 24-hour quarantine, but it was
> unclear who paid for the 14 day isolation.
> On the way back similar might happen, depending on your country.  If
> it is similar than the two week Deb* effectively turns into a six week
> Deb*.
> We do not know what will happen, but I do believe that it is way more
> likely for the virus to "spike" in the next few months as it is to go
> away.....countries may change their immigration procedures.   Airlines
> may change their policies on delayed or changed flights (or perhaps go
> out of business).
> A second point is that people going to Deb* may want to see something
> of the country.  I have been to Israel and Palestine several times, to
> Haifa, Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, Bethlehem and other places.  It is a great
> place to go.  Perhaps Israel will allow people to travel around inside
> the country at this time, but again it is "iffy", and I almost
> guarantee it will not be as easy or fun as it would be if the virus
> was under control.
> If the conference is moved to 2021...shifted...then perhaps there will
> be a vaccine or a treatment developed in the next year and most of
> this would go away.   Certainly we would know a lot more about it by
> this time in 2021.
> My suggestion would be to decide at this time to shift the conference
> to 2021, and use all efforts to make a virtual conference this year
> the best it can be.  Because the conference this year would be virtual
> it does not necessarily have to be in August and you can take your
> time to make sure the mechanisms are set up to not only have a great
> virtual conference, but one that has ongoing impact.
> You could also have micro-conferences with the virtual conference as a
> hub generating the materials for viewing.
> Finally, for full disclosure I will mention that part of this is
> selfish.    I have a lot of friends in Israel (and even in Haifa) that
> I was looking forward to seeing for the first time in 15 years.  Since
> (due to the risk group that I am in) I would not be able to safely (of
> course there is always risk in doing anything, always) travel to
> Israel this year I would not see them.  Assuming either a vaccine or
> very effective and available testing it would be much less risky to
> travel in 2021.
> In the end it is your conference.  I just wanted to share my thoughts.
> Warmest regards,
> maddog
> P.S.  I wrote to the management of Campus Party Amazonia on February 17th warning them of the virus since they were planning a 4000 person, week-long conference starting March 27th.  On that day Brazil had its first confirmed case of the virus in Sao Paulo.
> On March 2nd they wrote back and said they were "watching it".   That day the second case was confirmed in Rio de Janeiro.
> On March 17th they canceled the conference.  There were 250 cases confirmed in Brazil.
> On March 27th there were thousands of cases, at least one thousand in the city where the conference was to be held.
> I like to think that I saved some lives with that email on February 17th.
> On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 9:20 AM Jana Pirat <janapirat@gmx.de> wrote:
> > Hallo,
> > 
> > Am 22.05.20 um 14:02 schrieb Andreas Metzler:
> > > As I said I am lacking a broad worldwide view. But if you asked me
> > > whether there was any chance of having something like Debconf in
> > > Austria/Germany/Switzerland sometime in July or August, I would answer
> > > "No" with 99.9% confidence.
> > 
> > travelling inside Europe should be possible this summer, the boarders
> > are planed to be opened by 15 of June.
> > Of course the situation can change anytime.
> > In my opinion we should use all possibilities to live and be free as
> > much it is possible and given to us.
> > stay optimistic.
> > freedom not fear :-)
> > 
> > 
> > Best regards
> > jana
> > 
Dublin, Ireland                                     +353 (87) 372 7098

     Do nothing unless you must, and when you must act: hesitate.

Reply to: