Re: [DebConf Scedule change] "Let's talk about the elephant in the room" DebConf20 in Israel session

On 28.7.2019 17:35, micah anderson wrote:
Carsten Schoenert <c.schoenert@t-online.de> writes:

Am 27.07.19 um 14:27 schrieb micah anderson:
Ansgar <ansgar@debian.org> writes:

No, it is not widely described as antisemitic, it is anti-zionist. There
is a difference.
Is it?, I see no real difference?
Look harder, there is a clear difference.

This conversation is precisely the reason I try to refrain from using the "A" word, even when obviously justified. Like I said elsewhere, there is plenty to find fault in BDS without delving into the discussion of whether it is or isn't antisemitic. This is not to say that I think BDS isn't antisemitic, just that discussing that particular point is not productive.

As fate would have it, I just got a notification about an answer I wrote on Quora[1] for this very question. Maybe we can move this discussion there, as I believe the good people of this list are more interested in discussing organization of debconf than seeing three hot-heads (and you will notice I am counting myself in that number) bash it out.

Nice to hear you agree with your government, but that doesn't mean
anything to me.

I don't think the question we raise here is whether you, Micah Anderson, should attend DebConf 20 in Haifa, Israel. I think it is very obvious you chose the answer to be "no", and I, for one, intend to respect you by respecting that choice. I say this with regret, both because I believe your motives are based on false information, and because I believe candid talk would be better. With that said, if you've made your decision then you've made your decision.

This is not the issue in this thread, however (at least, I don't think so). The question people, and it seems to me that includes yourself, are trying to bring up here is whether anyone should attend it. I hope you see why your personal beliefs should not, in and on their own, be the criteria.

Thank you,

Shachar

1 - https://www.quora.com/Is-BDS-a-progressive-movement-or-a-Far-Right-movement/answer/Shachar-Shemesh