Re: [DebConf Scedule change] "Let's talk about the elephant in the room" DebConf20 in Israel session

On 2019-07-27 15:01 -0500, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Wookey dijo [Sat, Jul 27, 2019 at 08:37:57PM +0100]:
> Boycotting a DebConf in Israel should have been
> done by the interested people when it was still at the bidding level -
> It would have not been nice, but it would have been ... Fair.

Agreed. But first I heard of this was the anouncement so I wasn't able
to to make the point at that time. That's no doubt mostly my own fault
for not being on whatever is the right mailing-list, or for not
travelling to the relevant debconf. But I am surprised that whoever it
does make these choices made this one. I gather that, somewhat
ironically, 'closer to Europe' (something I do agree with - it's been
5 years) was part of the decision process, but of course that's not
much use for Europeans with the decency not go to Israel: in fact it's
worse because now we've nominally ticked 'Europe' for a while again,
disadvantaging those Europeans with morals (i.e. acceptable carbon
footprints) still further.

> Pushing for this political stance now, when our friends have been
> working on rearranging their life objectives for the whole year is
> just not right. I am quite heartfelt and saddened.

I'm sorry that Tzafrir and co are in this awkward position. And yes,
unless the Lisbon or India teams are going to leap up and heroically
save us from our own dubious choices at the last moment, then I agree
it's too late to change now.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/