Re: [DebConf Scedule change] "Let's talk about the elephant in the room" DebConf20 in Israel session

On Sat, Jul 27, 2019 at 10:21:18AM +0200, Ansgar wrote:
> +--------------------------------------------------------------------
> | We need to have an open discussion about the political message that
> | this project decision sends, and how it affects the people within
> | our community who support the BDS (Boycott, Disinvestment,
> | Sanctions) movement against the policies of the Israeli Government,
> | all the while reiterating our support to the individual members of
> | the local organizing team, who are our peers in Debian.
> |
> | A campaign has been brewing for a few weeks, calling on the DebConf
> | Committee and the Debian Community to rescind the decision of
> | holding the project’s yearly conference in Israel.

> The BDS movement is widely described as antisemitic.  Why should we
> care about it?

Because the defenders of Israel's racist and genocidal policies describe
everyone that opposes them as antisemitic as a means of shutting down
legitimate criticism, and therefore something being "widely described" as
antisemitic tells you nothing about whether it is antisemitic, only about
whether it opposes some policy of the Israeli state.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/