Re: Bus Sao Paulo <-> Curitiba

Hi Ian,

On 17/05/2019 13:23, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Partly because I want to reduce my number of flights for ethical
> reasons, and partly because I want to see Sao Paulo anyway, I have
> arranged to fly to/from Sao Paulo and will take a bus from there.
>
> On the way to Debconf I will stay in Sao Paulo for a few days, and
> then take the bus to Curitiba; on the way back I plan to go straight
> from the Debconf accomodation to the bus and then from the bus to the
> airport (GRU) in Sao Paulo.
>
> AFAICT there are plenty of buses between Sao Paulo and Curitiba and
> the bus trip is about 7h.
>
> Are there any particular tips that locals could share with me ?
>
> Particular questions I have:
>
>  * Is there a particular bus company that you would recommend ?  Can
>    (should) I make an online booking ?  My alternative would probably
>    be to go to an appropriate booking office in Sao Paulo I guess.

There are Cometa and Kaissara. Both are good.
https://www.viacaocometa.com.br/
https://www.kaissara.com.br/

We can see all options on this website, but i couldn't find english version:
https://www.clickbus.com.br/

At Tiete Bus Station you can find all companies desk and buy there.
There are a lot of departures schedule.

>  * How much additional time should I allow on the way back, given that
>    I definitely don't want to miss my flight from Sao Paulo ?

If you flight will be at night, I suggest you departure from Curitiba by
morning. It's better arrive in São Paulo before 6PM.

>  * I will travel with a large rucksack.  In Europe I would expect to
>    put my rucksack in the luggage compartment under the coach and not
>    to need to worry that it would be stolen.  (My valuables will be
>    with me in a shoulder bag and bum bag.)  Should I expect the same
>    in Brasil ?  How are these things typically done ?

You will have to put your rucksack on the luggage compartment. It's safe
keep it there. The driver will give a ticket number to you.

During this travel, the bus will make one stop. When this happen, take
you "shoulder bag and bum bag" with you. Don't leave it on the bus.

>  * I plan to make one of my trips overnight and sleep on the bus.
>    (I will sleep OK on a bus.)  Is this a reasonable idea or bad for
>    some reason ?

It's good. Executivo and Semi-Leito type are comfortable. Leito and
Leito-Cama the seat turn in a bed.

Don't buy "Convencional" :-)

>  * I presume the bus will go from somewhere in central Sao Paulo.  On
>    the way to Curitiba I will have been in Sao Paulo for a few days so
>    won't be totally disoriented.  On the way back I will need to go
>    straight from the long distance bus to the airport (ORD) in Sao
>    Paulo.  Are there any particular tips ?

In São Paulo, you will departure/arrive at Tiete Bus Station.
>From there you can take a bus directly to Guarulhos:
http://www.airportbusservice.com.br

Or take Uber or 99.
Or take  metroo, but it's not easy to take it.

>  * Which side of the bus should I try to sit for the best views ? :-)

>From São Paulo to Curiitba, if you travel at night, we won't see many
things.
>From Curitiba to São Paulo, I think the driver side should be better.

Best regards,

--
Paulo Henrique de Lima Santana (phls)
Curitiba - Brasil

Organizador da DebConf19 - Conferência Mundial de Desenvolvedores(as) do
Projeto Debian
Curitiba - 21 a 28 de julho de 2019
http://debconf19.debconf.org