Re: Debconf in Israel

Any DD who lives in Israel is a direct contributor financially and morally to apartheid and genocide against the Palestinian people.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2018/06/13/israel-apparent-war-crimes-gaza

There is no sugar coating the oppression that is the people of Israel and the impact their presence and their support of their apartheid state has on millions of Palestinians and Arabs.

There is no such thing as an innocent Israeli just like there is no such thing as a innocent Nazi. Silence is complicity and Israelis aren’t just silent in these issues they are supportive of them because they support the existence of their apartheid state.

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 9:44 AM, Andrej Shadura <andrew@shadura.me> wrote:
Nasir,

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 at 17:10, Nasir El-Amin <nasir_elamin@protonmail.com> wrote:
> Either way this ignores the fact that Israel has been murdering Muslims for countless years and the state of Israel sits on occupied Palestinian land. Debian having a conference in contested land where military conflict and oppressive acts are occurring is unacceptable.
>
> We (the Muslim Community of Linux Users) are working on a larger response to Debconf in Israel.
>
> If you at all believe in social justice and oppose human rights violations then you will not attend a Debconf in Israel.

While I understand your concerns, please don’t make a mistake and
equate the government of Israel and our Israeli developers. Tzafrir
and other DDs in Israel are not responsible for any actions of Israel
as a state, and you should not treat them as if they were in any way
related to the things happening there.

We are all friends here. We don’t need more conflicts and arguments
than we already have. If we’re going to have political arguments, let
them rather be about software freedom.

Also please note that Tzafrir said:

>> We're certainly looking forward for Palestinian and Muslim contributors to attend just as any others.

While I have not made up my mind — I’m not comfortable visiting any
place with territorial conflicts (including Crimea and Kashmir, for
example), I refuse to see bigger politics in this, and I suggest you
do the same. Our Israeli DDs want to have Debian conference where they
live, so that they just have us around, same as I wanted to have a
Debian conference in my place (but have not succeeded). It is just a
lot of fun to have friends come over to you, wherever you are. Even if
you happen to live in a place people are having arguments about.

Please don’t try to attribute malice to the decision to have DebConf
in Haifa. Our community will be stronger if we don’t do that.

--
Cheers,
Andrej