Re: Questions after talks at DebConf (idea)

On 08/09/18 at 11:11 +0100, Chris Lamb wrote:
> Anyway, whilst I am in no way suggesting DebConf takes an identical
> approach (!!), I would be curious to know whether if we are missing any
> new contributions this way.

I fully agree that Q&A are very important at DebConf.

However, I wonder if we could improve our "culture" around asking
questions during talks, by making it clear that we do not welcome using
questions to attack a (possibly) inexperienced speaker. Maybe just
writing this up properly (maybe in the CoC?) and advertising this could
help reduce the fear of Q&A?

In general, I think that we are doing a decent job of knowing which
questions are appropriate and which aren't. (I can only remember one talk
(at DC8) where someone in the audience was asking totally inappropriate
questions, but it was not someone I would qualify as from the Debian
community, and I think that the audience made it clear that this was not
welcomed behaviour). But it might not be obvious for first timers.

Lucas