Re: [Debconf-discuss] Discussion about debit card usage and money matters, perhaps part of the questions might be useful in the wiki as well.

at bottom :-

On 20/12/2016, Jonathan Carter <jcarter@linux.com> wrote:
> On 19/12/2016 21:54, shirish शिरीष wrote:
>> These are the questions I had asked of Canadians as debconf will be
>> happening there (in the context of demonitization which took place in
>> India)
>>
>> https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2016/12/18/demonetisation-indian-state-and-world/
>
> I can't see how the questions below fit into that question, but I'll
> take a stab at it anyway :)

First of all thank you all for all your varied and interesting
questions, sharing below.

a. The media as well as the Government of the day has been bombarding
the public as digital payments and digital economy will wipe out all
evils, i.e. wipe out corruption (as apparently black money only
generates in cash at least according to the Government of the day and
popular media) , Terrorism and other aspects.

While I have used digital payments, I have used it myself pretty
reluctantly as whatever little I have seen leaves much to be desired.

Because of the above, last few days I had been casually looking at
banking and ecommerce sites as to how secure they are, just from the
front page itself.

For instance, out of the 10 biggest banks in India, while almost all
have https, some haven't implemented hsts or forward secrecy or using
just SHA1 instead of SHA2 , weak ciphers and range of other
weaknesses. And this is when I am on a wired interface, And this is
when I have less than fleeting understanding of security.

Shudder to think what weaknesses and attack surfaces a black hat would
have. I also had quite a few interesting conversations with couple of
friends who work and have worked on security but as this conversation
itself has been longish, hence would stop here.

2. The other is media has been painting Sweden, Canada and few more
countries as role models for going cashless. Using the excuse of
debconf I could ask people about the changes with some practical
advise and also ask how and when the change occurred and how was the
transition to a mostly digital economy (this i had forgotten to ask
last time hence asking now). Was it something people did for their own
convenience or something that was pushed by the Government of the day
in any way ? See this notice by CBDT today -
http://www.incometaxindia.gov.in/Lists/Press%20Releases/Attachments/571/Measures-Promoting-Digital-Payments-Creation-of-Less-Cash-Economy-19-12-2016.pdf
. This was shared by our Finance Minister today.

Does the public and Government of Canada believes that using digital
payments  does equate with  less corruption, less terrorism and
channelled into more productive use of the money.

Ummm.... another thing is it ok with everybody if I use, quote your
statements in a follow-up blog post.

<snipped>

Look forward to hearing from you all.

--