[Debconf-discuss] Discussion about debit card usage and money matters, perhaps part of the questions might be useful in the wiki as well.

Hi all,

These are the questions I had asked of Canadians as debconf will be
happening there (in the context of demonitization which took place in
India)

https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2016/12/18/demonetisation-indian-state-and-world/

The queries/questions are as under -

1. How much of Canada’s economy is cashless i.e used to Electronic
Money Transfer and other means (but not cash) and how much is cash,
more in day-to-day usage and transactions. I am trying to get people’s
perspective rather than some website which may serve only raw numbers,
although even that would be appreciable.

2. Also what, if any charges/commission are paid to a Canadian bank
for paying via card/electronic money transfer. I ask as India has
reduced charges overall to 1% from 2% for making transactions upto INR
2000 in a day.

I am sure there are and would be forex conversion charges as well as
charges from home bank (whose card you bought) but from my limited
experience in South Africa, there were also differences in
charges/commission used by other bank ATMs in the same precises. Any
idea or possibility of knowing which is good.

3. There has also been recent talk of plastic notes instead of paper
currency. Plastic notes are supposed to be more copy-proof and also
will work for much longer time. They will not soil as paper notes do.

How have countries been looking at Plastic currencies. I do suspect
there would be issues while destroying plastic money vis-a-vis paper
currencies.

Look forward to reading if somebody has some observations to make.

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल