Re: [Debconf-discuss] Last call for keys for keysigning in Cape Town, South Africa

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 02:05:18PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> It's too late for this now, but for future reference:
> [...]
> note the "XMPP only" bit on some of the UIDs; i.e., I don't (often) read mail
> sent there.
>
> Comments *are* part of the UID, and should *not* be dropped.

Hi,

Since the comments are part of the UID, people will definitely see
them in gpg: that they are not printed in the paper list is not
very relevant.

Moreover, comments on UIDs are somewhat problematic: as you pointed out,
comments are part of UIDs.  Where I to sign “Wouter Verhelst (Legacy
e-mail) <wouter@grep.be>”, am I certifying that this is your “legacy”
mail address?  How would I even check?

(In my particular case, I publish a signing policy stating I do not
 certify comments, but that's more of a kludge than anything.)

You can also look at dkg's take on this [0]:

    https://debian-administration.org/users/dkg/weblog/97

Best,

  nicoo

[0] I used to have similar comments on my UIDs, and he is the one
    who convinced me not to do so.