Re: [Debconf-discuss] Water supply at the venue

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 11:37:38AM +0100, Steven Chamberlain wrote:
> Bernelle Verster wrote:
> > But, in the Fuller residence where most of the attendees are staying
> > there are two confirmed water fountains with chilled, filtered water.
> > We are not producing water bottles this year, so please remember to
> > bring your own.
>
> I saw something in the debconf-data budget about a bulk purchase of
> bottled water...?
> https://alioth.debian.org/plugins/scmgit/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=debconf-data/dc16.git;a=commitdiff;h=a9020c81d1df2c43fc3604e9143108ed5498961a
>
> I would happily refill bottles at the water fountain however.
>
> Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> > Just to add: A "Hepatitis A" vaccination is recommended for South
> > African cities (at least in Germany it's recommended). It has a
> > tendency to spread with water.
>
> Thanks for pointing this out, it is also advised by the UK NHS and free,
> but somehow I overlooked this when I researched it.  I've left it
> slightly too late now (should be administered 2-4 weeks before travel) :
> http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/africa/south-africa.aspx

The US public health agency (CDC) used to recommend the same for the vaccine
with immune globulin (IG) as a shorter-term solution if travel is imminent, but
they've revised this since I last looked:

"The first dose of Hepatitis A vaccine should be administered as soon as travel
is considered.

Previously, Hepatitis A vaccination was recommended to be administered at least
2–4 weeks before departure to an area with intermediate or high rates of
Hepatitis A. Travelers who were departing in less than 2 weeks were recommended
to receive receive immune globulin (IG) for short-term protection.

However, on the basis of data indicating that immune globulin and vaccine have
equivalent postexposure efficacy among healthy persons aged ≤40 years, the
Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) has amended its guidelines
for Hepatitis A vaccination for travelers. ACIP now recommends that one dose of
single-antigen Hepatitis A vaccine administered at any time before departure
may provide adequate protection for most healthy persons.

For optimal protection, older adults, immunocompromised persons, and persons
with chronic liver disease or other chronic medical conditions who are planning
to depart in ≤2 weeks should receive the initial dose of vaccine and also can
simultaneously be administered IG (0.02 mL/kg) at a separate anatomic injection
site."
- http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/HAV/HAVfaq.htm#C1

Also, if you got Hepatitis A vaccine for DebConf12 in Nicaragua and then
followed up with the second vaccine dose the right amount of time after the
first, you're protected for 25+ years (14+ for children) and don't need it
again this year.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debian.org