Re: [Debconf-discuss] Last call for keys for keysigning in Cape Town, South Africa

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 05:51:59PM +0000, shirish शिरीष wrote:
> While I understand the web of trust which is one of the major parts of
> keysigning and the process is detailed at
> https://www.debian.org/events/keysigning . Where it fails me is that
> WoT has little or no value to a person who doesn't want or have any
> uploading rights to the debian archive.

Debian uses OpenPGP for more than just authenticating uploads.
Non-uploading Debian developers still need an OpenPGP key in order to do
things like vote within Debian, for example. Getting an account on a
Debian box requires the ability to receive your password via an OpenPGP
encrypted mail. And as Gunnar says, people who don't plan to upload but
have well linked keys can help us to build the WoT out to those who want
to upload but have difficulty travelling to meet people who can sign
their keys.

J.

--
/-\                             |     We are talking one charming
|@/  Debian GNU/Linux Developer |         motherf**king pig.