Re: [Debconf-discuss] FYI: Terror warning for Cape Town

add at bottom :-

On 04/06/2016, Steven Chamberlain <steven@pyro.eu.org> wrote:
> Steven Chamberlain wrote:
>> Michael Prokop wrote:
>> > "The U.S. Diplomatic Mission to South Africa informs U.S. citizens
>> > that the U.S. government has received information that terrorists[...]
>>
>> *sigh* a similar notice was posted for UK citizens:
>> https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/south-africa.atom
>
> Oh, and bear that in mind too if travelling to Germany!
> Or to France, or Spain...
>
> https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/germany/terrorism
> "There is a high threat from terrorism. Attacks could be indiscriminate"
>
> The UK's homeland threat level is "severe", so I actually may be safer
> by travelling than not...
>
> Regards,
> --
> Steven Chamberlain
> steven@pyro.eu.org

You could add india to that list -

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/india/terrorism

In fact there should be one more high-profile attack that should have
been included in that list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Pathankot_attack

While people are free to make their own minds, I would argue giving
into irrational fear would let them (the terrorists) win even without
firing a single shot.

Incidentally, since the terrorist attacks have happened over a decade
and more, air travel has only gone up,

see http://www.statista.com/statistics/193533/growth-of-global-air-traffic-passenger-demand/

which means that apart from economic situations like the 2008-2009,
people are traveling more for business or leisure, not less and unless
some sort of real situation develops, we just have to  trust
ourselves, the systems that are in-place and just hope that things
happen for the best. AFAIK there is no system or country that is
fail-safe and nobody can give any such guarantees anymore, so yes, be
aware of things around you but don't give into irrational fears.

My 2 paise.
--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल