[Debconf-discuss] Thank you all!

Hello everyone who was at the conference!

Thank you all.

After arriving back home I found out that the vegan green dinner I left
earlier for was not Saturday but will be today. On listening to a meditation
to let go of the conflict that I left earlier than I needed to in order to be
at the vegan green dinner and thus missing the closing ceremony needlessly I
fell asleep and woke up somewhat around 1:45 in the night.

I bet that means that I had lots of experiences, impressions and information
to process!

Now I miss the experience already. I appreciate how I somehow feel connected
also to all the people I did not talk to, even tough at some time I may have
intended to do so. Verbal communication is just a tiny fraction of
communication going on between beings enjoying the human experience.

At the beginning I had difficulty processing all the new impressions and
experiences to the point I found that I took in more than I was able to
process in time and almost shut down. But later on I enjoyed the conference
experience more and more, while being more careful to take times for myself,
and also thought about the advantage of sleeping at the venue without having
to care to get back to my sleeping place by public transport and S-trains only
going every hour in the later evening. On the other hand sleeping outside in a
luxurious guest room provided some time and space for myself and processing
what I experienced.

One of the most important take aways from the conference for me is what
happened several times as I learned to know people I know from mailing lists
in real life.

There have been several of occurences where I found that face to face the
interaction between me and the other was much more friendly than on the
mailing list or in a bug report and I thought: Wow, with this guy who I
thought is tough and harsh I can have such a friendly conversation face to
face. It helped me a long way to let go of quite some judgements I kept onto
and blocked quite some of my energy in. I now understand more deeply what it
means to assume good intentions. Even if I do not agree with some decisions or
ways people handle things I now during the DebConf I got the clear sense that
they do it the way they do it with best intentions.  Thank you.

As a goal I take out of this is to go greater lengths to contribute keeping
discussions in mailing lists constructive and friendly even when experiencing
strong differences in oppinions or point of views. As a model for this I will
use what I found in Plasma/KDE mailing lists so far. I can´t explain why or
how yet,  but there people somehow manage to keep a constructive tone much
more consistently than what I experienced in Debian mailing lists.

I am not sure yet whether I attend to Cape Town. Traveling long distances is
quite a challenge to me personally. But I challenged myself to go to this
DebConf as well and I am very glad I did.

Thank you,
--
Martin