Re: [Debconf-discuss] Broken N900 microUSB connector: soldering required

Hi Ferderico, hi Bdale,

On Fr 16 Aug 2013 14:11:20 CEST Bdale Garbee wrote:

Federico Ceratto <federico.ceratto@gmail.com> writes:

Is there anyone that can help me? Thanks!

I'm quite adept at soldering tiny surface-mount thing, but I have no
tools here.  If someone has soldering tools but is timid about using
them for such a thing, let me know and I'll be happy to at least have a
look at it.

I have had that recently!!!! A friend of mine is specialized at repairing stuff like that and he nearly broke my phone (because some other components are so close to the USB connector).

Btw. the USB connector is the ,,Sollbruchstelle'' (predetermined breaking point) of the N900. It is quite easy to stabilize it before it breaks (my spare N900 has been treated like that and my wifes N900, as well).

To stabilize the connector on the main board, you simply have to scratch off some of the green main board isolation left and right to the socket and place two soldering points left and right of the socket.

However, fixing it once it is broken is a pain in the a.... That friend of mine took like 8 hours to figure it out. Also, you have to get a new USB connector. We found some on eBay when my phone had that sort of a serious injury.

The address of the store (it is in Kiel, Germany) that the friend of mine runs is:
http://www.logo-edv.de

I wish you seriously good luck!!!
Mike

--