Re: [Debconf-discuss] mall run to purchase SIM cards

On Sun, Jul 08, 2012 at 02:43:13PM -0600, Dmitrijs Ledkovs wrote:
> On 08/07/12 13:27, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Since people have had mixed results getting working data SIMs, I
> > thought I'd offer to do a group purchase of movistar SIMs for
> > people.
> > Please note the operating frequencies listed on
> > <http://debconf12.debconf.org/local-information.xhtml#phone-internet>:
> > although this is an unlimited plan and nominally provides 3G
> > service, my experience is that my phone will only talk 2G.
> Apart from that works like a charm with excellent 3G signal, good
> enough for Skype/VoIP calls over the 3G network.

Steve has a T-Mobile G2, which will do 3G on 1700 + 2100MHz. It sounds
like Movistar do 3G on 850/1900, so AT&T users will be fine, but
T-Mobile users will end up with 2G.

(No idea about what 1900 support is like in European phones, which tend
to do at least 2100.)

J.

--
Revd Jonathan McDowell, ULC | "Reality Or Nothing!" -- Cold Lazarus