Re: [Debconf-discuss] fiber-to-copper gigabit media converter needed

Ben,

On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 02:29:17AM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-07-04 at 17:24 -0600, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> > Needed: gigabit fiber/copper media converter!
> >
> > If you are planning on coming to debconf12, and you have (and are
> > willing to travel with) a gigabit fiber-to-copper media converter, you
> > would get everlasting fame and fortune, not to mention the undying
> > gratitude of the masses.  You would also get your device back,
> > well-cared-for, at the end of debconf.
> [...]
> You might need to be more specific than that.  SFP?  GBIC?  Something
> else?

well: converters. Twisted Pair to SX. Our "core" switch does have enough
SFPs, lucky enough (i.e. all slots are filled; more slots would have
been cool, but that's life). But the other switches we have are all
copper-only, so we need to convert the 1G SX light to something our
TP-Links and/or Buffalos can cope with.

I'm told (by dkg) that we have enough fibre patch cables to do plug
conversions if necessary.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern