Re: [Debconf-discuss] pictures and privacy (was: my pictures so far (including the bicyle tour))

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 04:01:30PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> This is backwards, and places the responsibility of other peoples
> actions (ie photographers pubishing their pictures) into the hands of
> people that can't know when the problem occurs (ie in some picture and
> not aware that the photographs are making them public).  The person
> publishing a picture should be responsible for the choice and ensuring
> that the privacy of others is respected, not the persons in the
> pictures.

I'd say it's that way in very few cases.

It's not reasonable to expect no pictures of you ending online if you
take part in a public event. If you just happen to have your face on
an otherwise (i.e. not because of your presence in it) very
interesting photo, it's entirely unreasonable to expect the
photographer to not publish it.

Having said that, of course you may ask for it, and a friendly
photographer might grant your wish and not publish such photos. Still
I'd say the responsibility for doing this is very much on the person
who doesn't want to be in published photos. There is no such thing as
an absolute right to not have your face in a published photo, much
less a right to be asked beforehand.

	Sami