Re: [Debconf-discuss] pictures and privacy (was: my pictures so far (including the bicyle tour))

[Tiago Bortoletto Vaz]
> Well, if we decide to ask permission for each attendee before
> uploading DebConf pictures we wouldn't have pictures published at
> all, which is too bad.

In Norway, you are required by law to ask for permission for the
person in the picture before publishing, with some exceptions.  If I
remember correctly, the exceptions are pictures showing a public place
and not having a person as the main part of the picture, pictures
showing events in the public interest (ie the press covering something
important) and picures where the people can not be identified.

So it is not unheard of, even if you believe it is a sad approach.

> To improve things here you can ping the photographer in pvt and
> reduce the chance of having your photo forever in the cloud. If it's
> not enough for you (and other people), I propose a way to have your
> face somewhere (penta?) with explicit instruction like "don't make
> public any shot that contains this face".  I'm sure the DC friendly
> photographers will respect your wishes.

This is backwards, and places the responsibility of other peoples
actions (ie photographers pubishing their pictures) into the hands of
people that can't know when the problem occurs (ie in some picture and
not aware that the photographs are making them public).  The person
publishing a picture should be responsible for the choice and ensuring
that the privacy of others is respected, not the persons in the
pictures.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen