[Debconf-discuss] Bicycling tour starts at 18:15 in front of the venue (was: Re: Bicycling instead of running?)

Hi,

Annette and I were exploring possible routes today before the banquet,
So here's the final plan

As announced previously we'll start earlier than initially planned.
This means that those who want to go bicycling also have to skip other
events events on the 18-19 time slot, currently the "mass deployment"
and "mobile ux" bofs and "coding for human rights". (I planned to
attend two of them, too. Meh.) But a later start no more makes sense
due to the no more so hot weather (compared to last week) and that we
plan to return the bicycles on the same day. (See below for details on
that.)

Current time plan:

A first group arrives around 18:00 at the Cycling Shop[1] to check and
fetch the bicycles.

A second group will start around 18:15 in front of the venue, walking
to the bicycle shop so that we can hopefully start around 18:30 from
there.

We should be back at 20:30 at the bicycle shop to return the bikes. We
should be back at the venue and Hotel Bosna around 21:00, so there's
time for a late dinner and some games afterwards.

There is still the fallback to return them on Saturday and store them
in the Hotel garage. But returning them on Saturday is probably more
difficult as probably not all people will available for driving them
back to the shop so we (Andreas and me) prefer the other solution.

How to get to the bicycle shop[1]:

[1] http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=44.776212&lon=17.201473&zoom=18&layers=M
    http://www.cyclingshop-banjaluka.com/

>From the venue we start not towards Hotel Bosna but to the opposite
direction and immediately turn left into that street with a lot of
cafés, "Miljosavljevića". We follow the road until the end (it's a
dead end for cars) and turn right, "Aleja svetog Save".

Follow the main street and turn the second possibility to the left,
"Gundulićeva". You should see a restaurant called "Fast Food Pizzeta"
on the next block. Follow the street until you see bicycles standing
on the right sideway.

Current route plan:

Castell, the place of the Ferhat Pasha Mosque and one (IMHO nice)
christian church. We'll ride along the river Vrbas quite often, we'll
ride on bicycle paths and calm streets, but at a few points also on
roads with quite some traffic. We'll cross parts of the railway tracks
around Banja Luka twice, cross the river Vrbas two times, and the
river Vrbanja once.

Details (for those who are interested):

>From the bicycle shop we drive north towards the train station on the
bicycle path besides "Bulevar Srpske vojske". Before
the train station we turn right and take the bridge over the railway,
"Braće Pišteljića".

We cross the river Vrbas on a narrow hanging bridge (for cars :-) and
reach the village (or suburb) Česma.

There we either take the path on the dike around the village or turn
right inside the village, crossing the river Vrbanja on a new steel
work bridge.

We drive around some industry area and pass the railway again, this
time it's over us on a tiny steel bridge. Before we reach the river
Vrbas again we turn left ("Ada") and follow the river until the
cemetry "Rebrovač" with its (IMHO very nice) church and gate.

There we cross the river Vrbas and immediately turn left afterwards
into "Save Kovačevića" (which is a dead end for cars and therefore
with less traffic). We follow the river more or less until the castell
of Banja Luka. If possible again after DemoFest (wasn't possible again
today), we will go through the castell.

Outside the castell again, we'll cross the street "Téodora
Kolkotronisa" and follow "Patrijarha Makarija Skolovića". On our right
there is the place of the Ferhat Pasha Mosque[2].

[2] http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=44.76741&lon=17.18734&zoom=17&layers=M
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferhat_Pasha_Mosque

At the next street we turn right on the street which becomes "Kralja
Petra Karađorđevića" to head back towards Hotel Bosna and the venue.
We though have to get back to the bicycle shop, so we not necessarily
have to pass the venue, but can also use some of the parallel streets.

		Kind regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | abe@deuxchevaux.org  (Mail)
 X   See http://www.asciiribbon.org/              | abe@noone.org (Mail+Jabber)
/ \  I love long mails: http://email.is-not-s.ms/ | http://noone.org/abe/ (Web)