Re: [Debconf-discuss] X60s battery issues

Hi there!

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 13:26:54 +0200, Chris Knadle wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 26, 2011 02:53:25 AM, Jérémy Bobbio wrote:
>> It looks like the battery of my laptop (ThinkPad X60s) does not want to
>> charge anymore.
[...]
> The battery is probably toast.  :-(  Li-Ion batteries don't like to be near 0%
> charge, nor 100% charge -- getting too close to 0% risks catastrophic failure
> and possible explosion.  As a result there are safety monitoring circuits to
> cut out the battery if it's drained too far; and unfortunately when this
> happens there is no known way to recover the battery out of that condition.
[...]
> I'd like to believe that the battery could be recovered using some kind of
> ThinkPad battery firmware hack, but I haven't been able to find one.  I
> similarly have a failed battery that I'd like to bring to life again.  [If
> anhyone has a clue on this, please ping me via email.]

I clearly remember that Henrique de Moraes Holschuh (cc:ed,
ThinkPad-ACPI upstream maintainer) told me at DebConf9 that is there
actually a way to "bare metal" manually charge dead ThinkPad batteries
if the EC controller is not dead (technical details may be wrong, but
you got the idea).  I have never tried looked for the necessary
information nor tried that, but I will certainly to that.  Links
appreciated ;-)

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca