Re: [Debconf-discuss] X60s battery issues

On Tuesday, July 26, 2011 02:53:25 AM, Jérémy Bobbio wrote:
> Hi!
>
> It looks like the battery of my laptop (ThinkPad X60s) does not want to
> charge anymore.
>
> If anyone has a similar model and is willing to spend a few minutes with
> me, I'd like to test:
>
>  * if my battery charges with their laptop,
>  * if their battery charges with my laptop.
>
> Please reply using private email or ping me on IRC.
>
> Thanks and sorry for the noise,

The battery is probably toast.  :-(  Li-Ion batteries don't like to be near 0%
charge, nor 100% charge -- getting too close to 0% risks catastrophic failure
and possible explosion.  As a result there are safety monitoring circuits to
cut out the battery if it's drained too far; and unfortunately when this
happens there is no known way to recover the battery out of that condition.
Which ThinkPad it's in shouldn't make any difference.  Trying someone else's
battery in your laptop is a good idea just to make sure that you haven't had a
failure of the internal charging circuit (and this is a possibility), but
that's the only test I think is worthwhile.

I'd like to believe that the battery could be recovered using some kind of
ThinkPad battery firmware hack, but I haven't been able to find one.  I
similarly have a failed battery that I'd like to bring to life again.  [If
anhyone has a clue on this, please ping me via email.]

-- Chris