Re: [Debconf-discuss] Packaging for beginners - expert wanted

Jana Pirat dijo [Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 09:36:38PM +0200]:
> > Of course I can, but for the introduction to be successful we need to
> > know the target audience.
>
> yes of course
> >
> > IMO, the best, would be that the audience had read (even quicly) the
> > developer reference and debian policy documents (quite boring, but
> > essentials) and has an existing package to fix or a software to package.
> > And that people with more experience help them.
>
> it's very ambitious.
> it would be not anymore workshop for beginners, just for advanced
> beginners ;)
> (...)
> i have exactly this in mind. i personaly don't know what is control file
> and so on. so i need very basics information.
> it will be my very first time i here about packaging.

Hi Jana and others,

I have to agree with Enrico's comments... When I got interested in
packaging for Debian, it took me several months to actually *do* it
because ther is too much to learn. It is not hard to learn the basics
for doing a package *wrongly*, and you should avoid that. I have seen
several .deb packages (I actually use one in a production server)
that are actually a steaming pile of shit, often built by upstreams
not in Debian that want just to facilitate installing... but just
break horribly any Debian-system expectations.

Still, if Gegerly is so eager about his approach, he might actually
lead you to get enough knowledge to package gcc. It's an interesting
goal! And Gegerly is a very well-known and respected developer, that
managed to even package and mantain tamagotchis in Debian. I think he
even got a tamagotchi to campaign for DPL many years ago!

FWIW I'd gladly sit in the audience and hijack parts of the
talk/commentary. It is a very valuable skill exchange, specially if we
want to make more local people work in Debian. Which is one of
Debconf's goals.

Greetings,