Re: [Debconf-discuss] Packaging for beginners - expert wanted

hi gergely,

thank u very much for this mail.

Am 25.07.2011 22:09, schrieb Gergely Nagy:
> I was planning something inbetween "for completely beginners" and "I
> packaged gcc", with the intent of showing fun stuff to both parts of the
> audience.

it sounds wonderfull.
its exactly what i had in mind.

> There's a lot of things about packaging that can be said, and most of it
> is very well documented already - so I do not plan to go into the very
> gory details there, but show an example or two instead, so people will
> get the hang of it.
>
> Once they have the hang of it, they can always consult the documentation
> later, if they wish to know more; or, find me or anyone else with
> suitable packaging knowledge, and just ask them.

i'm fully agree with. if u find fun in the subject, u will read
documantation too

> Contrary to Enrico, I'd ask interested people to NOT read the
> documentation just yet. It's a bit dry and boring, and can be
> dishartening at first: it is a *lot* of text to wade through. Even
> Lucas' excellent packaging-tutorial is a lot to read in an overnight.
> Instead, I propose to show interesting things, and explain the very
> basic parts briefly (but in detail enough to be understandable), and
> show that packaging can be a fun and rewarding experience.
>
> If and when I succeed, the brain-washed victims^W^Waudience can go out
> and read the documentation, knowing that in the end, reading through
> that big pile of text is going to be worth it. It is also easier to
> digest, once one had first-hand experience with packaging.

exactly

thanks for understanding for beginners ;)

> (Now if I only had an idea how to achieve this... but alas, the night is
> long, and the talk isn't scheduled yet, so I'm going to be just fine! :)

i'm looking forward for your workshop

cheers

jana