[Debconf-discuss] Community-provided travel sponsorship for attendees

Hi,

As happens every year, some DebConf attendees haven't gotten travel
sponsorship when they need it.  Some Debian community members think
this year has been particularly bad, and want to do something about
it.

Thus, we wanted to make a contribute ourselves.  Instead of just
chipping in to provide sponsorship for one person, I thought we
should make it more general (to allow other people the change for
community sponsorship).

If you, or someone you know, was denied travel sponsorship from the
DebConf travel sponsorship team, reply to this message explaining the
situation.  Make sure to mention the person's Debian work.

Others, if you would like to contribute to the travel sponsorship of
someone mentioned here, reply to me (you do not have make your
contribution public, signed mail preferred) and indicate that you
would like to help.  I will coordinate everything.

Ideally, you could donate part of your reimbursement to another
person.  I am not sure if the DebConf team or Debian will allow this
(hopefully someone will decide to approve this).  The next best option
would be donating money to Debian, which Debian would then use for
travel sponsorship for the specific people.  I am also not sure if
DebConf/Debian will allow this.  The last option would be for direct
attendee->attendee payments.

When replying with a contribution, please indicate:
- Who you would like to donate to (please not "anyone")
- Maximum amount you would like to give
- "share" you would like to give.  Default share is "1".  The total
  expenses will be divided up among everyone whom would like to
  contribute, in the ratio of their "shares" not to exceed their
  personal maximum.  The person receiving the sponsorship will pay a
  share of max(1, max_other_contributor's_share) for themselves.

I will send a list of all contributions only to all contributors (and
person receiving funding), so that they can check that everything is
correct.  I won't make it public otherwise.

It would be better if we did not get to this situation, but as of now,
for this conference, the only way to "fix" things is from the outside.
I do not like the thought of attendees giving money to other attendees
any more than you do, but we have been forced to this if we want to
help out our own.  This is not just a wild idea, there are already
five or more people who want to donate to the attendee whose situation
inspired this scheme.  This email provides the opportunity for more
than just one person to benefit.

Thanks,

- Richard

p.s. This email purposely does not mention any specific person,
although this thread was inspired by one specific case.  People can be
mentioned in follow-ups.