Re: [Debconf-discuss] DebConf dress code (was: Banski Dvor do's and don'ts)

+++ Josip Rodin [2011-07-19 09:15 +0200]:
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 10:11:04PM +0200, Joost van Baal-Ilić wrote:
> > Op Mon 18 Jul 2011 om 08:15:52 +0200 schreef Velimir Iveljic:
> > > Some people just think if you wear shoes that you
> > > are more "integrated" in the society.
> >
> > Or: integrated in "the" society.
>
> Or: how about we all show a hint of grace expected from a guest and shut
> the hell up when the sponsor asks us to do one trivial thing?!

Nobody argued except Adnan :-) Not even the guy who doesn't even own/bring
any shoes.

> I mean seriously, of all the immensely bizarre things about this DebConf,
> more bizarre things just keep piling up, where does this end... We are all
> coming from by and large advanced western countries to a country whose
> status as less developed is utterly undisputed, using up their hospitality
> to the maximum (with an apparent disregard for the latter circumstance
> AFAICT), and then still have the audacity to engage in numerous rounds of
> whining about an eminently simple matter of 'when in Rome, do as the Romans
> do'?

Josip - I was talking about American rules, not Bosnian ones, or at
least the general case of 'cultural rules disguised as health
regulations that apparently make no sense' as was the message I was
replying to. So no need to take offence on behalf of less developed
countries.

And I wasn't having a go at the hotel guy who can't quite cope with
having a load of wierdos in his hotel :-) It's an intresting (to me at
least, I'm sorry you find it embarassing to discuss) academic
question: why do people (all over the developed world, not just
America and maybe Bosnia) think that shoes are more hygenic than feet?

In fact if you re-read the thread there is very little whining, indeed
I think the posters have been very tolerant of the cultural norm we've
been asked to comply with.

OK, it's a bit of a debian-curiosa thread, and we probably should shut
up now, but your grumpiness and embarassment is misplaced. We're just
geeks, and worry at the details of things, especially things that
don't really make much sense :-)

Wookey
http://wookware.org/