Re: [Debconf-discuss] Customs clearance at Zagreb, BL

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 03:50:05PM +0100, Jonathan Wiltshire wrote:
> At [1] I read that customs require proof of ownership for technical
> equipment.
>
> 1. is this Croatian or Bosnian customs? Are they the same?

The latter. Nope.

> 2. my netbook is company-owned and my laptop is old enough that I don't
> think I have the invoice any longer, though I can probably get hold of a
> copy. How likely is it that this is a problem?
> 3. do we need to declare technical equipment at the airport or only if
> stopped and asked?

At the Zagreb airport, you will simply pass through the "nothing to report"
gate, just like most everyone else :) In the bus passing the .ba border,
it's pretty much the same, in the unlikely chance that the customs officer
actually walks up to you and asks you "is this yours?", simply say it is :)

I know for .hr there exist rules about how you can move items of negligible
value (I think our limit was 100 EUR) completely legally, but you'd be hard
pressed to find a customs officer who is willing to spend time impounding an
item smaller than a 4t container and ordering a court investigation for it.
I really don't think they go through that kind of trouble even when they do
what we call a 'white strike' (they can't actually strike, so instead when
they engage in a labor action, they become excessively thorough, which
quickly generates huge queues and proves their point).

> It is also listed that medication should be accompanied by a doctor's
> prescription. However, whilst I need several different medicines for acute
> allergies, I don't have a prescription. Is this likely to be a
> problem?

Compared to laptops, that would be even more unlikely.

Unless you're carrying 5 kg worth of prescription drugs, obviously :)

In conclusion, maybe the wiki page is worded too strongly if it made you
think things like this. :)

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.