Re: [Debconf-discuss] [Debconf-team] Travel sponsorship BoF: minutes

On 22 August 2010 21:34, Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.fi> wrote:
> On su, 2010-08-22 at 14:23 +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
>> I think it's totally reasonable to use our projects funds wisely. That is, if
>> you get or apply for travel sponsorship, to help looking for good prices.
>
> Given that finding good flight prices is hard, would it be worthwhile to
> get a travel agent to arrange transportation for everyone? A good agent
> might be able to find much better deals than most people, and might not
> be too expensive.

Additionally, there are such things as corporate discounts with big
company travel agents. I am currently on an assignment for Accenture
that requires weekly travel. I checked prices and availability for
plane tickets my next weeks trip and all online systems came up with
large numbers, but when I ordered the tickets via the corporate travel
agent, they got tickets for the exact same flights for about quarter
of the price.

Could we possibly ask our largest multinational corporate sponsors
whether it would be possible to (ab-)use their corporate travel agents
and their discounts to order tickets for Debconf centrally and thus
save money? It might even be possible to make an arrangement where a
person pays Debian/Debconf and Debian/Debconf buys the plane ticket.

--
Best regards,
    Aigars Mahinovs        mailto:aigarius@debian.org