Re: [Debconf-discuss] [OT] Can you repeat, please? (was Re: Thank you, organizers and volunteers and everyone)

Tim Retout dijo [Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 08:36:39PM +0100]:
> > Until now, I have found three of them: "say what?", "what's that?" and
> > "say it again", the first two being a word game Biella, Zack and me
> > started the last days after I explained the above to both of them.
>
> "Say what?" definitely sounds US English.  I wouldn't use the other two either.
>
> Your basic four UK responses are as follows, in descending order of politeness:
>
> "Pardon?", "Sorry?", "Come again?", "What?".
>
> For bonus points, elaborate:
>
> "I beg your pardon, what did you say?"
> "I'm terribly sorry, come again?"
>
> If all else fails, add more self-deprecation and explanation:
>
> "I'm afraid I didn't quite hear, would you mind awfully repeating that please?"
>
> This actually happened to me in New York with someone asking for
> money. It seemed somewhat unfair not to give it to them at that point,
> after making them repeat themselves so many times.

Of course, being the minimum wage so crazily high in that so-called
first-world, if you didn't give him the requested money, you would be
facing the Homeless Union. Well played. At least you made him lose
some time with you brit.