[Debconf-discuss] Art Installations in NYC using Free Software

Hey all,

If you are interested in seeing some art installations that use (almost) all Free Software, there are two projects that I worked on that are open to the public and free as in beer:

Moveable Type, Ben Rubin and Mark Hansen.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/25/arts/design/25vide.html
Each of the 560 screens is also a little ARM computer with a speaker. The setup is a custom Debian-based distro running Pd for sound and Python for the screen and communications logic. As far as I know, each of these computers is running 100% Free Software.

Magnum Mark, at FLAG Art
http://www.flagartfoundation.org/current/
Magnum is a photographers' collective that has been around for decades. This is an exhibit of works from a range of Magnum photographers from journalists to artists. I created the digital display system which is Pd/Gem running on Ubuntu. The 10 screens are running 99% Free Software, all except the fglrx video driver (the open source one was close, but not quite there :'-( ). The video projection is on an Mac running Pd/Gem since that machine was already in place.

.hc

I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out how to use my telephone." --Bjarne Stroustrup (creator of C++)