Re: [Debconf-discuss] no video coverage during nights

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 02:30:59PM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Dienstag, 28. Juli 2009, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > ...or for some alternative tool.  Ana mentioned Penta being too complex
> > and too buggy and proposed to switch (albeit that noone responded...)
>
> The proposal lacked an alternative to switch to. Suggesting to switch
> because "foo sux" without giving alternatives is not really helpful. (It is,
> when it's unknown that there are problems. Which is not the case here, we are
> very aware that penta has issues - we simply didnt find a working alternative
> yet.)

I'd like to try to frame this another way:

We could use more people looking at and working penta, or a possible
new conference management system.  I think it's quite possible many
possible volunteers have been shooed away because they think there
work won't come to anything.

One of the main reasons I've heard to consider moving to something
else is so that more people can work on solving problems and adding
new features, and handing off maintainership could be done more
easily.

Of course, getting new penta hackers, perhaps even merging all the
debconf-specific changes to the latest penta version, would negate
this advantage of a completely new system.  In fact, someone in charge
of working out the current problems (for the most part, handling user
and team requests) and adding new features in penta would almost
undoubtedly be better than something new.

So it boils down to what we can do to get new people involved: Penta,
or something new?

Speaking of which, if anyone is interested in helping out here, I will
help to make it happen (connecting you with the right people).  I
don't think I have the time or ability to do it myself, though.

What do you all think?  It seems to me "whatever we can most easily
get people to work on" is a good compromise.

> One feature an alternative tool would need to have is the integration of our
> video workflow for releasing archived files.

Yes -- can be solved with someone willing to put forth the effort to
do so...

- Richard