Re: [Debconf-discuss] Barajas to Atocha Renfe - which way and how long?

Holger Levsen a scris:
> Hi Eddy,
>
> On Mittwoch, 13. Mai 2009, Eddy Petrișor wrote:
>> I am going to arrive on the 22nd at 18:05 on Barajas and I saw there was a
>> train for Cáceres at 19:07, but that seems really tight since I expect the
>> whole airport fumbling to take at least 20 minutes:
>
> At least. If you have checked in luggage, it will take longer.
>
>> and it seems there are several ways to arrive to Atocha Renfe station, but
>> it seems this route could be the fastest:
>>
>> airport to Mar de Cristal (line 8)
>> Mar de Cristal to Pinar de Chamartin (line 4)
>> Pinar de Chamartin to Atocha Renfe (line 1)
>
> Yup, I'd take that one or til Colombia, then Plaza de Castilla and then
> Atocha.

Indeed, I thought about that, but while it seems simpler on the route I suggested,
yours might be faster since there are only 6 stations as opposed to 9 on the other
route.

>> Could local people say if this is indeed the fastest (seems to be simple
>> enough to remember by heart) or not and how long should I expect the
>> journey to take? Of course, if this ain't the fastest, please tell me which
>> is it and how long will that take.
>
> It should take 45-60mim (from subway start to destination, you should also
> expect 15-60min to get out the airport, mostly depending on the time it takes
> to get the luggage out. Also terminal4 is slightly further away, so add 10
> more minutes if arrive there).

OK, so I guess I'll have to go with the later train.

> Oh, and you need 2 euros for the metro ticket. Normally a ride (with changing
> as often as you want, but not changing from metro to bus, thats another
> ticket) is 1 euro (or 68cents if you buy a ten ticket), but for leaving the
> airport metro stations (or arriving there) you need to be an extra
> (called "sublimental") ticket, which is always 1 euro.

They always overcharge around airports, probably because usually they are on remote
sites. Is this airport ticket something I should know beforehand, or even if you
want you can't miss it? I mean, do I have to ask for such a ticket or will I be
charged from the get go and don't have to do some extra step to be on the legal side
of the law?

>> I am hoping I'll be able to catch that train at 19:07 since the next one is
>> at 22:25, which is really late (and I don't expect the battery of my laptop
>> to last over that period, too :-) )
>
> I'm not sure, there might be power sockets in the train :) I seem to remember,
> but that might have been wishful thinking ;-)

I know on some higher speed trains here in Romania there are power sockets, but
I was wondering about this particular train :D, TRD Nº 17018 :

http://horarios.renfe.es/hir/hjhir140.jsp?&T=17018&G=1&ID=i&F=2008-12-14

OTOH, if I have to wait some time in the train station, I'll probably be able to
find a bar or cafe with a power socket available ;-) .

>> and arriving at 1am in Cáceres makes
>> things really difficult (transport, directions, registering at the hotel,
>> etc.).
>
> That should work fine. 1am is not that late :-)

I know is not for Debian people, but I am thinking about buses, taxies, things like
that, so I am able to arrive at the venue.

BTW, is there a map of the route from the Cáceres train station to the venue? How
about public transportation? I can see the venue is close and one could walk there
in about 20 minutes, but who would do that at night with luggage?

I saw this map, but that doesn't clear up things too much:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&t=h&msa=0&msid=108464253750342031323.000465cdba765027d352d&ll=39.469926,-6.369345&spn=0.010336,0.012188&z=16

> I'd appreciate (to not say, will jump in joy) if someone could put the useful
> bits from this mail/thread into http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf9/Travel

Heh, that would be good :-D .

--
Regards,