Re: [Debconf-discuss] Anyone had success with tgv-europe.de?

+++ MJ Ray [2009-05-11 11:31 +0100]:
> Wookey <wookey@wookware.org> wrote:
> > +++ Christian Perrier [2009-05-10 09:00 +0200]:
> > > My guess is that there is no Prem's fare left for July 31st and this
> > > is badly detected by the crappy voyages-sncf.com web site
> [...]
> > On http://www.raileurope.co.uk/ the cheapest tickets (£81 (which is
> > close to EUR88)) are still available both ways (I just checked). i.e
> > £162 both ways (EUR180)
>
> Has anyone booked that rate on their own?

I have. Although I booked the return via bahn.de phone interface,
thereby avoiding this issue (and in the end I actually picked a more
expensive return in order to try out the 2-man sleeper to see if it
was worth the extra). But the basic-rate was definately available
during that call a few days ago when I did this.

> I believe that raileurope.co.uk is the same booking system as "the
> crappy voyages-sncf.com" and behaves in a similar way.  It will show
> you the cheapest tickets, then error out with a misleading "offline
> for essential maintenance" when you try to checkout with them and
> they're not available to you.  It only errors after you have entered
> passenger names.

I see. I have certainly seen that on some journeys. I did wonder what
it really meant.

> It will even show you rates such as the special for four-to-six people
> sharing a cabin booking together, even if you are only one person who
> can't possibly qualify for that rate.
>
> One of the biggest barriers to rail replacing air are that the SNCF
> monopoly of booking websites for journeys through France are worse
> than the worst of the airline booking sites.

I agree the vagaries of booking sites and ticketing options are a
major disincentive. There is huge room for improvement (and bahn.de
are well-placed to capitalise if they just added
outside-germany-pricing/booking to their otherwise excellent
routing/timetabling site).

> A heartfelt thanks to everyone who perseveres and books a ticket
> somehow, but you may find it's worth using a rail ticket agent.

I have found bahn.de on the phone a lot more effective for actually
booking than using the web. They know useful stuff which you might
never find out online like 'if you go via Belgium it will save you
EUR100', or 'you can go 1st class on this train for only 70p extra -
want to do that'?

Wookey
--
Principal hats:  iEndian - Balloonboard - Toby Churchill - Emdebian
http://wookware.org/