Re: [Debconf-discuss] DebConf10 to take place in New York City, USA

Stefano Zacchiroli dijo [Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 02:04:20PM +0100]:
> [1] just for those who care, I'm not a regular happy USA visitor
>     either, but I feel that our Debian users and developers there
>     "deserve" a DebConf as much as everybody else in the world. Note
>     that they are not necessarily responsible of the immigration
>     policy of their country, pretty much as I'm not necessarily
>     responsible for all the silly boutades Berlusconi likes doing
>     around the world.
>
>     Also, I've been told that obtaining a visa to enter UK is not
>     sensibly easier than obtaining a visa to enter USA, and we had a
>     DebConf in UK already.

A deep +1 for Zack's grip on reality. We have often thought things
would be different elsewhere. To be honest, I am still ashamed of the
hoops we had some people dancing through in order to get visas to
Mexico (which is supposed to be a friendly country with no enemies,
nor economically strong enough to push away immigrants). European
countries (and yes, this is in part answering to Pere's other comment)
are enforcing stronger checks and limits, and from the outside all of
Schengen looks quite as a single thing (even if my appreciation is
flawed).

I do have strong political opinions against the USA's policies, and I
have stated I would prefer DebConf to be held in other, freer
areas. However, objectively judging the presented bids, they _are_
superior to the other offered alternatives.

Yes, holding DebConf in NY will surely mean we will lose some audience
- Some (few, I expect) will have problems getting a visa. Some
(probably more) will decide not to go to the USA based on their
ideological PoVs. However, both USA teams pointed out something quite
true: The USA is the country with most DDs, and as a project, we might
be benefited if we reach out to them - A DebConf is a great way to get
more people involved and committed.

Greetings,

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23