Re: [Debconf-discuss] Pick-pockets (sub-title: I had been warned).

All,

You might also want to leave a copy of that in a sealed envelope with
someone you trust before you leave home.

Sorry to sound so paranoid, but I *did not* do that before traveling to
a large city in a very wealthy country and having my wallet lifted.

The reason I knew my wallet had been lifted instead of just "lost" was
that my bank called my cell phone less than 40 minutes after it had
disappeared, wondering why I was doing something so unusual (for me) as
buying liquor on my credit card in a foreign city.  By the time I had
canceled that credit card and the two or three others I had, the thief
had run up several thousand dollars in charges.

Yes, I was eventually able to recover all the charges through fraud
policies, but it was painful.  If I had been able to cancel the credit
cards faster, I would have saved myself days of work.

md