Re: [Debconf-discuss] driving toward south Argentina after DebConf8: how about roads?

Quoting Stefano Zacchiroli (zack@debian.org):
> Hi all,
>   after DebConf8 I'll have some VAC in South Argentina, heading towards
> Tierra del Fuego. A possibility I'm considering is traveling a good deal
> of kilometers by (rent) car.
>
> However, I've no idea about which kinds of road can I expect driving
> south. I've seen that there are a handful of highways: are they in good
> shape? which average speed can I assume to travel on them? What about
> the other, non-highways, roads?

This is a trip I considered to do with my family before or after
Debconf.

We finally gave up for two reasons:
- price.. A 5-adults trip like this is fairly expensive. That argument
does maybe not apply to you. We were not considering driving down
there because of the distances and the road status and the price of
flights were really dissuasive when added to the price of
Europe-Argentina flights

- winter. This is winter and Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego is
probably faily hard to travel in. As others pointed, it may involve
going through Chile, crossing region where winds can be the strongest
ones in the world. In winter, I imagine this not to be something
really enjoyable.

So, we decided we would come back in the future, probably at times
where such traval will involve only two people (aka e and my wife) and
in summer..:-)

My personal opinion is that if you plan some tourist trip in ARG
around Debconf, good places to go could be the North-West part if you
enjoy mountains and the like. That could include a hook in North Chile
as well, around Atacama, to see the best skies in the world. At least,
this is what *I* would do..:-). Of course, classical stuff like Iguazu
region is also an option...