[Debconf-discuss] Regarding weather / beach / sea in Mar del Plata

Hi!

For all of you coming to Argentina from the North Hemisphere, please
remember that seasons are inverted and August in the South means *winter*.
Bring warm clothes.  Bring a sweater and a jacket with you on the plane.
You don't want to wait until you have your luggage to put them on.

You might be wondering what kind of weather you'll face.  Winter in Mar del
Plata is not too bad. Statistically [1], the average maximum temperature in
August is 14 °C (58 °F) and the average minimum temperature is 4 °C (39
°F). With 64 mm (2.52 inches) of rain during the month.

Last year [2], the maximum temperature in August was 17 °C (63 °C), and the
minimum temperature -4 °C (24 °F), and there were 34 mm (1.35 inches) of rain.

From experience I can tell you that you can expect some nice sunny days,
when spending the afternoon on the beach might be really nice, and you can
also expect some ugly rainy days when you will be glad that all DebConf
happens in the same place, with good heating. And if we are lucky/unlucky
(depending on your point of view) we can even get some quick-to-melt snow.

Regarding going to the sea, don't count on it.  Our sea is not bathed by
any warm current (like the Gulf Current for you guys in the North), so that
even in summer the sea is very cold.  So, if you don't want to go down with
hipothermia, I suggest you don't go further than just getting your feet
wet.

Anyway, for those that wanted to know, the hotel is just in front of the
beach, a few hundred meters from the waterline.

[1]:
http://www.wunderground.com/NORMS/DisplayIntlNORMS.asp?CityCode=87692&Units=both
[2]:
http://www.wunderground.com/history/station/87692/2007/8/10/MonthlyHistory.html