Re: [Debconf-discuss] Re: Please revoke your signatures from Martin Kraff's keys

On 5/27/06, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> wrote:
Only if you are reasonably well acquinted with the English language and
usual english names and nicknames.

This is true.

One of the people at Debconf 5 I was thinking of, whose name I absolutely have no idea of anymore, was either a native english speaker or pretty fluent.   You are of course, correct, but it's not the case in this specific example.

There is nothing stopping you from adding a new user-id with your full name
and the same email address as you have in your "Penny Leach" user-id.  In
fact, I suggest you do so and add that user-id.  People can chose which one
to sign, they are not forced to sign all user-ids in a key...

Perhaps, but it raises all sorts of questions about identity that are probably off topic here. Apart from anything else, I don't identify with the name 'Penelope' at all.  Clearly, my gmail address is penelope.leach, that's because most non numeric variations on 'Penny' were all taken :)

I frequently find that people I have known for years never knew my name was Penelope.  Perhaps they would refuse to sign the Penelope uid because they have always known me as Penny?

It doesn't bother me enough to add a Penelope uid, just another element to the issue of trying to verify identity.

--
context: http://she.geek.nz || http://catalyst.net.nz