Re: don't bring your APs to HEL

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 01:14:31PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> A g card isn't even necessary. hostap will do wpa with prism2 devices.
> I'm not sure whether it'll do the same for orinocos. Anyone with an
> ibook is, of course, utterly screwed - as far as I can tell, the only
> possibility there is an Atmel based USB device.
> http://atmelwlandriver.sourceforge.net/usbtable.html lists them.

For those with iBooks that require Airport Extreme, this is a really
good option. For those of us who already have working 802.11b AirPort
cards, this would be buying a wireless card that could do WPA but
wouldn't gain me anything else over what I already have besides a lot
more hassle. (AirPort [non-Extreme] just works in Linux, with full
802.11b functionality including WEP.) It's somewhat of a waste of money
in that case.

Thanks for mentioning this, though; I will consider getting one anyway
since it might be useful for other computers, but more likely I will see
what progress prism54 wpa makes before debconf.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debian.org